Complaints and concerns

How do I make a complaint or tell the NHS about a concern I have about local health services?

*See below of details of updated process during the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic

You have the right to make a complaint if you are not satisfied with the care you received from the NHS.

Where possible, you should speak to the person in charge at the place where you have been receiving care. For example, this may be a hospital ward manager or a practice manager at a GP practice.

Useful contact details for the Patient Advice & Liaison Services (PALS) of NHS organisations serving the people of Basildon, Brentwood and Wickford are listed below:

Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – (01268) 394440
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT) Community Services - 0800 783 8519
South Essex University Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (mental health and learning disability services) - 0800 085 7935
Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - 01702 385333

You can find the contact details of your GP or dental practice on an appointment card, letter or on

Complaining to NHS Basildon and Brentwood CCG

Updated process during the COVID-19 pandemic

For the duration of the effects of the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, complaints across Basildon & Brentwood, Castle Point & Rochford, Southend and Thurrock will be managed centrally from NHS Thurrock CCG.

This is primarily because the NHS is currently re-deploying all possible resources to focus on the fight against Covid19 coronavirus so the most effective way to deal with complaints with limited capacity is to centralise the service.

Our usual complaint response timescales have been removed due to the current circumstances. We apologise for the pause in this service but would ask you to understand that at this challenging time we have to support our frontline staff as effectively as possible.

All complaints will be logged, but we are unable to take any action at this time in most cases. However, please be assured that we continue to act upon any issue of patient safety or safeguarding raised in a complaint.

Once the crisis is over we will contact each complainant and address any concerns through our normal processes.

If you have immediate concerns around care and treatment provided you should raise these directly with the provider of the service. Follow the standard processes below.

If you require any information on COVID-19, we urge you to follow the latest advice given by the Government on coronavirus which is available on line at

We appreciate your understanding and patience at this challenging time.



Standard process

If you would prefer to make your complaint to someone who has not been directly involved in your care, you can contact the NHS organisation that has commissioned (paid for) your care. That organisation can advise you and, if you wish, can investigate your complaint for you.

NHS Basildon & Brentwood CCG is responsible for commissioning care from Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (BTUH), irrespective of where you live. So if you want to complain about BTUH but do not wish to complain directly to the Trust, then you can make your complaint to us as below:

NHS Basildon and Brentwood CCG

Phoenix Place
Christopher Martin Road
SS14 3HG

01268 594586

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

You can also complain to NHS Basildon & Brentwood CCG about the commissioning decisions we have made or any other experience you may have of our CCG using the contact details above.

If you have a complaint about other services and do not want to complain to the provider, then you can complain to the relevant commissioner as shown below:

Service you want to complain about

Organisation to complain to if you don’t want to complain to the service directly


Telephone number

North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT) Community Services provided in South West Essex NHS Thurrock CCG NHS Thurrock CCG
Second Floor,
Civic Offices,
New Road,
Essex, RM17 6SL
01375 365810
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust NHS Southend CCG Suffolk House,
Baxter Avenue,
Essex, SS2 6HZ
01702 314299
South Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (SEPT) NHS Castle Point and Rochford CCG Phoenix Place,
Christopher Martin Road,
Essex SS14 3HG
0800 9174694
A GP practice, NHS dental practice, community pharmacy, NHS optician / optometrist NHS England NHS England,
PO Box 16738,
B97 9PT
0300 3112233
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Whoever you ask to look into your complaint will do their best to resolve the problem as soon as possible and will let you know the outcome. They will listen to and respect your wishes as to how you would like your complaint dealt with. This may include a structured investigation with a written response, a meeting to discuss your complaint and bringing in an independent view of the service you received.

NHS commissioners and providers welcome complaints as a means of learning from patient experience and as an opportunity to continually improve. Making a complaint should not have a negative effect upon the care you receive but if you are worried about this, please contact us on the details above and we will be pleased to discuss your concerns.

Can I have some help in making my complaint and finding my way through the complaints process?

Yes. Independent professional complaints advocacy is available, free of charge, to the complainant.

Residents of Basildon, Brentwood and Wickford should contact HealthWatch Essex for further information, on 01376 572829.

What if I remain dissatisfied?

If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction after it has been investigated locally, you can ask the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman to review your complaint. The Ombudsman can be reached through or on 0345 015 4033.

Latest Tweets