Patients in Basildon and Brentwood are being offered the support of a flagship NHS diabetes prevention programme.
NHS Basildon and Brentwood CCG is rolling out the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme to help people identified at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes to live healthier lives.
Local people referred on to the face-to-face programme get tailored, personalised help, which includes: education on lifestyle choices, advice on how to reduce weight through healthier eating and bespoke physical activity programmes, which together have been proven to reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
High blood sugar levels caused by diabetes can seriously damage parts of your body, including your kidneys, heart, eyes and your feet. Indeed, the number of foot and leg amputations linked to diabetes has soared to a record high across England.
Tackling diabetes is one of the biggest healthcare challenges facing Basildon and Brentwood CCG.
It’s hoped the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme will:
• Help people to look after themselves and stay healthy
• Reduce the number of amputations linked to diabetes
• Reduce the number and length of hospital stays from complications
You are more at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes if you:
• are over 40 – or 25 for south Asian people
• have a close relative with diabetes – such as a parent, brother or sister
• are overweight or obese
• are of south Asian, Chinese, African Caribbean or black African origin – even if you were born in the UK
You can also use a free online tool at nhs.uk to find out your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.